Thursday, March 26, 2009

Was Dee Brown Back in Town Today?

I had a little excitement on my way home today, as I was stuck in traffic for thirty minutes in Wellesley as the police and the FBI were dealing with a bank robbery and bomb scare.

The Bank of America on route 16 was robbed at gunpoint at 4 P.M., and a suspicious device was left behind at the bank as well as another at the Star Market down the street. The net result was a section of Route 16 (Washington Street) being closed for several hours.

I know I can rule out my friend Danny as a suspect, he would never wear Adidas.

First, I was a little surprised that this happened on Washington Street in Wellesley. There is always traffic on that street from 7 A.M. to 8 P.M., the bridge over Route 9 has been under perpetual repair since the 80's. I don't see how someone can get away cleanly after robbing a bank at 4 P.M. during a weekday.

Second, we know Wellesley's best is always around. They had stopped me three times in the last four years for such offenses as driving with an expired vehicle inspection sticker and driving in the parking lane for 10 yards to get around traffic. Not to mention that unfortunate incident with Dee Brown back in 1990. (This Dee Brown, whom I schooled in a game of Pop-A-Shot at the Ground Round back in 1990. Not mentioned in any subsequent interviews, but it is firmly believed that the humiliating defeat at the Pop-A-Shot game was what drove him to practice harder in his dunking game, and eventually led to him winning the all-star slam dunk contest later that year).

Coming out of work, I had no idea this was happening until 10 minutes into the traffic jam I noticed the award winning general assignment reporter Linda Ergas doing a live update on the side of the road. The first thought that popped into my head was that this can't be a big story, as it's Linda Ergas out there for Christ sake, I'd figured Channel 7 would have their staff ace Sorboni Banerjee on the mound for a big story.

What made it even worse for me today was that right when I was leaving work, a coworker stopped me and asked me for a ride to a repair shop on Route 16 in Newton, so I actually got on Washington Street several miles further to the east as I would normally have.

It's 10 P.M. now and the robbery suspect is still at large. From what we know of Wellesley, the suspect is probably white and driving a vehicle with a valid Massachusetts vehicle inspection sticker.

2 comments:

  1. You are right, I am white, and all of my records are up to date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I could wear adidias just to eliminate me as a suspect! I will call it the Nike alibi!

    ReplyDelete