Monday, March 9, 2009

Okay USA!

Team USA clinches an automatic bid to the second round of the World Baseball Classic tonight by trouncing Venezuela 15-6.

This is something you don't see everyday

The U.S. team overcame a 3-2 deficit and a 1 for 6 performance by the American League reigning MVP Dustin Pedroia by putting the game out of reach with an 8 run sixth inning.

I am happy with this result for a couple of reasons. One, it's team USA. Two, the win comes at the expense of Venezuela. Yes, I will concede that they have the hottest women on the planet, but they also have that nut job Hugo Chavez, who along with Massachusetts' Joe Kennedy, are probably the two finalists in the regionals of the anti-American Kumite.

Both Adam Dunn and Kevin Youkilis homered for the Americans second game in a row, and Chris Iannetta along with DeRosa contributed with key RBI hits, blew open a close 3-2 contest.

Much of the credit should go to the American bats, but after the Venezuelan starter Armando Galarraga was chased after four innings, the Venezuelan bullpen didn't have an answer for the American firepower.

The fallout continues in Taiwan over their quick exit from the WBC.

A little personal note here, the senior commentator Fu Da-jen quoted in the article above, was the MC at our wedding in Taiwan. Now I think back, that was pretty cool. I wish I knew ahead of time that he is famous in Taiwan for broadcasting NBA games, hell, I would of had him pimp our entrance into the wedding reception. Maybe some sort of Jabbawockeez intro a la the All Star game or maybe, or something simpler like "At point guard, 5'-6" from Nooooooortheastern.."; or even better - I could have thrown talcum powder into the air instead of toasting people.

Damn, the Marv Albert of Taiwan was the MC at my wedding, and I failed to capitalize on it. I suck.

There is NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment