Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I Think I Just Got My Own "Teachable Moment"

I got a call tonight - actually a message, from a buddy of mine:

"[JM] blah this is [my buddy] blah *noises in the back ground* *gibberish* softball *gibberish*"

After listening to the message three times, I still couldn't make out what he was saying, so I decided to call him back.

[My Buddy]: Hey dude, do you know a team named the Scrubs, that plays in the Boston West Coed Softball League?

[Me]: Name sounds familiar, but mmm.. not really.

At this point, i opened up the Boston West Coed Softball League web site, and saw that the Scrubs were on the brink of going through the regular season undefeated; that would explain the excitement in the earlier message.

[My Buddy]: Anyways, they are all Asian, and they are ranked third, and we played them tonight and beat them! *Quick recap of the game*

[Me]: Hey wait, you assume that I would know them because they were all Asian?! Yo man, that's racist!

[My Buddy]: Haha, ha.. ha.

[Me]: Haha, yeah, I probably know them. (checking via Google Chat with a Asian buddy of mine who plays in that league - I do know them)

[My Buddy]: I'll talk to you tomorrow.

[Me]: Alight, later dude.

I am kicking myself, if I had responded with "I'll beat yo mama in softball!!", I would be having my own teachable moment with a bucket of free suds tomorrow at the Sunset Grill.

I have never seen a pitcure of guys who are more uncomfortable while drinking beer.

2 comments:

  1. Makes me feel good, cause I played an all Asian team last night that was undefeated and lost, and didn't even ask you if you knew them. Then again I only hit the ball to the white girl cause I knew her defense was supect! Is that profiling???

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would depend on the race of the person or persons who had pointed out the said white girl's deficiencies on defense.

    If the snitch is not white (up to and including persons of "olive colored skin") - then it's fair game. Otherwise it is profiling.

    ReplyDelete